Creating Britain's Future
The UK construction industry is:
- important to the UK economy
- a driver of growth
- delivers excellent products; and
- helps change lives
Construction and the UK economy
UK construction turnover is £100bn per annum – 10% of GDP.
There are 300,000 firms working in construction in the UK, the vast majority are SMEs.
Construction employs 3 million people.
Construction drives growth
Every £1 invested in construction generates £2.84 in economic activity
92p of every £ invested in construction stays in the UK supporting UK jobs.
Construction delivers excellent products
83% of the industry’s clients rated the quality of their built asset as very good or excellent.
78% of the industry’s clients rated the value for money received as very good or excellent.
Construction productivity in 2012 reached the highest levels since records began.
Contractors have cut energy use on construction sites by a third since 2007 and waste by over a half in the same period
The rate of accidents in construction has fallen by over 25% since in the last 10 years.
Construction helps change lives
The industry creates:
- the homes we live in
- our transport infrastructure
- our workplace environment
- our schools and our hospitals.
To find out more about construction visit a construction site during UKCG’s open doors event on 9 and 10th of November. Find a site near you
- Bradfield School
- Waterfront Quarter Huddersfield
- Leeds Arena
- Sheffield University
- Sir Robert Ogden Macmillan Centre
- Kirkless Studio School
- Tesco Regeneration Project
- Severn Trent Headquarters
- Snow Hill
- Blossomfield Campus
- Abraham Darby Sports & Learning Community
- The British Horse Society
- Secure Rehabilitation Unit
- Birmingham New Street station
- Hotel La Tour, Birmingham
- Skills 4Life Academy, Birmingham
- HMP Featherstone
- The Library of Birmingham
- Bury Fire Station, Bury
- BDP Offices, Manchester
- Co-operative Group Headquarters
- ESSA Academy, Bolton
- Heywood Sports, Leisure and Culture Village
- One St Peters' Square
- Office Mass Spectrometry Headquarters
- The Royal Oldham Hospital, Phase 3
- The Radclyffe School
- Rochdale Bus Interchange
- St Catherine and Firwood Academy
- Stretford High School
- Oldham Academies
- BBC Roath Lock Studios
- Institute for Animal Health
- Liverpool library
- Darwin Centre
- Glasgow Transport Musuem
- St. Peter the Apostle
- Campsmount Technology College
- Colchester General Hospital
- King's Cross Roof
- King's Cross
- Language Energy Centre
- Orford Park Community Hub
- The Open Academy
- Wellington Academy
- Burnley Hospital, Burnley
- Poynton High School, Cheshire